• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2023/2024

Stuartmcateer

I could see Birra outperforming Danny.
Maybe once he is back training but coming off a shit show of a season in Dundee and without a run or ages he is probably a better bet come the off season and Danny retiring.

For a side six weeks into a major gutting and reshuffle we’re looking good on the park. And we’d be in a good position on the table also if we’d been able to take more of our many chances.
For me it wasn’t so much the missed chances, especially in the early part, it was that we lacked cohesion and any sort of clue how/where/when to pass and make runs.

That is gradually improving but still very clunky.

FFC Mariner

By what sort of meaningful metric though. If he comes back immediately in good form (doubtful) maybe there's a small gain to be had but for me the money is better spent elsewhere.
I fear we are weak in goal as Danny's movement is not what it was. Maybe calling it quits when we won the GF was a better decision (in hindsight)
If you dont have total confidence in your keeper it ripples through the entire back 4 - exhibit A, Man United

Stuartmcateer

I fear we are weak in goal as Danny's movement is not what it was. Maybe calling it quits when we won the GF was a better decision (in hindsight)
If you dont have total confidence in your keeper it ripples through the entire back 4 - exhibit A, Man United
Basically at this point he has 2 real options GK wise - stick with the experience of Danny to ride out the season….

Or …… pick the kid and stick with him no matter what and hope he develops along the lines of mat Ryan.

I don’t see birraz as a realistic option this season. If we go option 2 and it works out I am not sure he would want to come here and play as a second choice.

pjennings

Scholarship palyers dont count to your player quota.
So we currently have 23 players plus I think 7 TAG players plus Sasha who is probably not currently registered. So to bring people in we have to move some out. DWH, Smith and Millard are rarely if ever in the squad and must be nervous. We would probably need to keep one of Smith or Millard as cover for Faz but MJ is more likely to use Harry as back up.

Then - if a good option comes in up front, Jing's loan may be cut short

Ironbark

What's Danny done wrong? He's been solid and made some fantastic saves this season. Fornarolli's goal was a worldie and wasn't going to be stopped by anyone.

We don't need a keeper upgrade, and although I'd happily take Birraz back he's at best like for like. Bring him back next season when Danny retires

marinermick

What's Danny done wrong? He's been solid and made some fantastic saves this season. Fornarolli's goal was a worldie and wasn't going to be stopped by anyone.

We don't need a keeper upgrade, and although I'd happily take Birraz back he's at best like for like. Bring him back next season when Danny retires

Danny is miles ahead of what he was this time last season. He was much more clunkier and chunkier then he is now.

Corsair

So we currently have 23 players plus I think 7 TAG players plus Sasha who is probably not currently registered. So to bring people in we have to move some out. DWH, Smith and Millard are rarely if ever in the squad and must be nervous. We would probably need to keep one of Smith or Millard as cover for Faz but MJ is more likely to use Harry as back up.

Then - if a good option comes in up front, Jing's loan may be cut short
At this point I think it's pretty much a given that DWH is gone in Jan

turbo

At this point I think it's pretty much a given that DWH is gone in Jan
I agree but at the same time it’s weird Alou seems to be getting more benefit of the doubt. And yes he scored on the weekend but he was very lucky not to have it taken away for the way he handled the CB (we would be pissed if it was reversed) and didn’t get to or stuffed up some other chances. Maybe there’s more difference behind the scenes.

Wombat

I agree but at the same time it’s weird Alou seems to be getting more benefit of the doubt. And yes he scored on the weekend but he was very lucky not to have it taken away for the way he handled the CB (we would be pissed if it was reversed) and didn’t get to or stuffed up some other chances. Maybe there’s more difference behind the scenes.
Would DWH have scored that goal?

Forum Phoenix

Maybe once he is back training but coming off a shit show of a season in Dundee and without a run or ages he is probably a better bet come the off season and Danny retiring.

For me it wasn’t so much the missed chances, especially in the early part, it was that we lacked cohesion and any sort of clue how/where/when to pass and make runs.

That is gradually improving but still very clunky.
Okay agree to disagree then. But it is a fact that we created plenty of chances and had a lot of meaningful possession. And for mine Max and Niz have been consistently cohesive and have made us tick in all of our games. Only in finishing our attack and being caught in transition after over zealous pressing by players learning when and when not, have we been poor.

Forum Phoenix

Don't consider myself an expert on keeping. But for mine I think he's been a brilliant keeper now clearly in his last days at this level. Understandable. No one can go on forever. He consistently doesn't come for balls I think he could claim. Very rarely sweeps. And is not covering the ground quickly or getting off his toes when it comes to shot stopping.

@turbo. Probably right on the money. Agree not our foremost priority. Though what I would say about Birraz is he is still in his prime. Despite a poor run has not turned into a bad keeper overnight. Will be hungry if not desperate to recover his form or improve it. He loves the coast. Fits seemlessly into our culture.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred