• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Our Beloved Monty

Insertnamehere

So we're looking at Ben Cahn with Muller as the assistant?

Now my paranoia is wondering if Peil's open letter was a Monty being "sold" primer...
Look I'd like to keep monty for a decade. However if the offer for Monty and Serge is right for both the fellas and the club, have at it. BUT, let us keep the vibe crew, Bernal and Enzo. If we lost all 4 we'd be back at step 1 again.

Meerkat

Cash for Monty would be killing the golden goose. Obviously we can’t keep him forever but it seriously risks the pipeline.
I think you hit the nail on the head unfortunately. It’s why so many have said “we will be ok so long as we have Monty & Serg.” They are the cogs in the wheel. Even when Staj started to revive us, a lot was dependent on our Academy talent that Monty and Serg were bringing through. They have a talent, a gift and a passion for making the best and finding the best from the limited resources we have. I don’t believe any kind of cash is going to replicate that.

Right now we have players desperate to come here. Take out Monty and Serg and we go back to buying what and who we can afford and bringing in players who care less about the Club than the lifestyle and will simply go when better cash is offered.

I get we will lose them eventually.. but on the back of winning the championship, selling off most of our best players including our Golden boot Cummings and then selling off our Coach and assistant? Sounds familiar. ?

Pretty shit for all of us who have signed up for the new season with renewed hope and ambition. Feel screwed over if I’m honest and really pushing the loyalty when it’s not being returned.

Wombat

I think you hit the nail on the head unfortunately. It’s why so many have said “we will be ok so long as we have Monty & Serg.” They are the cogs in the wheel. Even when Staj started to revive us, a lot was dependent on our Academy talent that Monty and Serg were bringing through. They have a talent, a gift and a passion for making the best and finding the best from the limited resources we have. I don’t believe any kind of cash is going to replicate that.

Right now we have players desperate to come here. Take out Monty and Serg and we go back to buying what and who we can afford and bringing in players who care less about the Club than the lifestyle and will simply go when better cash is offered.

I get we will lose them eventually.. but on the back of winning the championship, selling off most of our best players including our Golden boot Cummings and then selling off our Coach and assistant? Sounds familiar. ?

Pretty shit for all of us who have signed up for the new season with renewed hope and ambition. Feel screwed over if I’m honest and really pushing the loyalty when it’s not being returned.
Panicking for no apparent reason again Mrs Meerkat.

Forum Phoenix

I get the fear, it'd be a tremendous loss, but it doesn't make any sense to me to talk about being screwed over or about loyalty not being returned.

By who? The club?? In what world would they want Monty and Serge to go right now? Maybe if it would fund the club for a couple of years, fair cop, but for a couple hundred K, when these coaches attract young talent and can develop them to sell for more... I can't see the club wanting to lose Monty right now. Far more likely that they'd be begging him to stsay.

Monty? Does he owe us more if his success has now led to better options for himself and his family?
This is the unavoidable price of success. Enjoy it. Then brace for pain. Isn't the first time. Won't be the last.

Last edited:

Meerkat

I get the fear, it'd be a tremendous loss, but it doesn't make any sense to me to talk about being screwed over or about about loyalty not being returned.

By who? The club?? In what world would they want Monty and Serge to go right now? Maybe if it would fund the club for a couple of years, fair cop, but for a couple hundred K, when these coaches attract young talent and can develop them to sell for more... I can't see the club wanting to lose Monty right now. Far more likely that they'd be begging him to stsay.

Monty? Does he owe us more if his success has now led to better options for himself and his family?
This is the unavoidable price of success. Enjoy it. Then brace for pain. Isn't the first time. Won't be the last.
What I’m saying is that at some point, the ties that bind are going to be seriously frayed. We saw that, over the last decade. It’s taken how many years to bring people back? Only to do the same thing again?

I am not blaming the club. If he really is leaving or entertaining the idea, Peil is probably shitting himself in a cold sweat that his 2 mil loss is about to be 10. But the bottom line is that aside from your diehard fans that will keep showing up when the chip’s inevitably fall down again, those who are invested in the people that make up the club.. players, the staff, the culture.. are simply going to fall away again when those people are no more, success is no more and that investiture is not returned. You can say it’s shit and unfair, I don’t disagree. But it’s true.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Cool. I'm not confused by what you said. Just when you say...

"Feel screwed over if I’m honest and really pushing the loyalty when it’s not being returned."

I'm not sure who you are you referring to as not returning your loyalty? Or who is screwing you over?

To be clear. I don't really care. You can of course feel how you want. Taking it personally just made no sense to me.

No argument here that our predicament of having our pantry door wide open can cause waves of hunger and frustration. That's actually my point. And I've lived it too. Sadly I just don't see how that changes. Which is why personally long term I care more about infrastructure and vision than even our coach or a spectacular winning season.

I accept it can't alway be highs. I just want us strong enough so that we can weather the raids so that we don't ever hit too low again. But this is modern football. In this world everything good flows upstream.

Big Al

If Monty lost the first 6 games people would turn on him. It’s the nature of football.

Like players he has ambitions beyond CCM. Better he go happily assisted and provides more funds for the club.

He is also a coach of a developmental club. Makes player retention hard and it’s not like we can pay him enough for what he is worth and even if we could he would still have that desire to go challenge himself against the best.

We all enjoy following ex players overseas and Monty will be the same.

He may fail (hope not), his family may be unhappy and want to come back whatever it is if the door is open he may one day return.

The club has been warned for a while but especially after the GF smashing that Monty would be in demand. Let’s see if they have been planning for it or head in the sand. This is the real worry apart from Monty setting the highest bar possible which no matter who will lead to disappointment.

You can’t beat City 5-1 and expect the next guy to be as good. Especially at our club.

Let’s hope it doesn’t destabilize the players.

Go be great Monty.

Meerkat

Cool. I'm not confused by what you said. Just when you say...

"Feel screwed over if I’m honest and really pushing the loyalty when it’s not being returned."

I'm not sure who you are you referring to as not returning your loyalty? Or who is screwing you over?

To be clear. I don't really care. You can of course feel how you want. Taking it personally just made no sense to me.

No argument here that our predicament of having our pantry door wide open can cause waves of hunger and frustration. That's actually my point. And I've lived it too. Sadly I just don't see how that changes. Which is why personally long term I care more about infrastructure and vision than even our coach or a spectacular winning season.

I accept it can't alway be highs. I just want us strong enough so that we can weather the raids so that we don't ever hit too low again. But this is modern football. In this world everything good flows upstream.
Loyalty is a subjective term. Taking it personally isn’t accurate. The bottom line is, people have loyalty to a brand for 1 of 2 reasons. Either they have a human connection to the brand (even ethically or morally/ it aligns with their values if no direct relationship) and / or they like the performance of the brand. In both cases here, that’s about to be challenged if Mont does go.

For those in the latter, customers (fans) or sponsors will have signed up to the season expecting a product. Absolutely you can’t guarantee or even expect the same success of last year to be replicated. But you have to think with Mont and Serg at the wheel we will at least stay contenders. No secret they are under contract.there is an expectation.

Suddenly, those who had stars in their eyes and most of us with visions of at least a decent run in the AFC Cup and a decent season, have the rug pulled out.

Yep, absolutely most of US will hang in there and wish Monty well and hope for the best. But time and money don’t come freely for most people and taking away the main cog in the wheel at this stage? With money already committed and people signed up? Sure. Can’t see anybody feeling screwed over. You have much better faith in human character than I do.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

So who do we think will be our next coach (and assistant)?

I'd love Ben Cahn but I doubt it - he's doing a great job in Vic and following a winning duo isnt always a great career move

Hutch has a less than stellar record (being kind)

Genuininly cant think who else they are looking at.

Surely no one is dumb enough to get Patrick in please Dear God no.

Yes, I now think we will lose Monty soonish (just a hunch) There is no smoke without fire and the Japan rumours wont go away

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred