• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2023/2024

Corsair

TC Redline

I'm keen to see how DWH goes this year. Always thought there was a player there somewhere but so inconsistent. If Monty can light the fire in his belly he might be good. Very fast I seem to recall.
Im of the same opinion of him. Really Different from Cummings where Cummings fell deep and really improved his distribution and hold up play and defensive headers as well especially as the year went on . Where i have always looked at DWH as an Ian Rush style of striker that isnt flashy or someone you would pay to watch for his ball dribbling skills but has a real knack of knocking the ball in the back of the net which in a game that is hard to score is worth its weight in gold. Im hopeful he has an awesome year under Monty and our teams attacking mindset.

scottmac

Suspended
Im of the same opinion of him. Really Different from Cummings where Cummings fell deep and really improved his distribution and hold up play and defensive headers as well especially as the year went on . Where i have always looked at DWH as an Ian Rush style of striker that isnt flashy or someone you would pay to watch for his ball dribbling skills but has a real knack of knocking the ball in the back of the net which in a game that is hard to score is worth its weight in gold. Im hopeful he has an awesome year under Monty and our teams attacking mindset.
Isn't that a description of A Kuol, and he's like 5yrs younger and better at it? Just don't see Wenzel getting any starting time while Kuol is in the side and fit.

TC Redline

Isn't that a description of A Kuol, and he's like 5yrs younger and better at it? Just don't see Wenzel getting any starting time while Kuol is in the side and fit.
Ok he can be John Aldridge then and maybe he can be thrown on if we are down and throwing on attackers to snatch a goal.. Isnt it different supporting the team these days where there are multiple players who can play each position and push the team performance on rather than the days of Hoole , Asdrubal and Kennedy being our key players. I think Kennedy even won player of the year for us didnt he?

booney

TBH Sammy, Jason, Beni and Tulio seemed to swap around at will in spite of what the teamsheet said. If he is on the park I would expect the roles will be swapped around in game as they were last season.
This swapping of positions and roles made it difficult for opposition defences to get set.A good example at least in the opposition half of the Total football used by the Dutch and AJax in the 70s.Also Roux,Mcgarry and Farrell played well into the opponent's territory

Meerkat

Everybody is convinced Kuol is going to be banging them in at will. Hasn’t he come back because he wasn’t performing?
Don’t get me wrong, I think he is naturally brilliant. But I do think it’s going to take time for him to discover his natural capabilities again.
I also don’t have huge optimism for Wenzel but do trust Monty’s opinion of him and he has known him for years. If anybody can make him great (and hopefully without injury) it’s Monty and his team.
If not, he will be shipped out.

Corsair

Everybody is convinced Kuol is going to be banging them in at will. Hasn’t he come back because he wasn’t performing?
Don’t get me wrong, I think he is naturally brilliant. But I do think it’s going to take time for him to discover his natural capabilities again.
I also don’t have huge optimism for Wenzel but do trust Monty’s opinion of him and he has known him for years. If anybody can make him great (and hopefully without injury) it’s Monty and his team.
Sink or swim, could be gone in Jan or getting on for 10 goals.

turbo

Exactly. There’s going to be plenty of chances to play with AFC cup and A league, if DWH out performs Alou he’ll get the spot. Obviously CCM will want to develop and re-sell Kuol but Monty won’t base his plans on that.

Corsair

Exactly. There’s going to be plenty of chances to play with AFC cup and A league, if DWH out performs Alou he’ll get the spot. Obviously CCM will want to develop and re-sell Kuol but Monty won’t base his plans on that.
Isn't Kuol a loan? Or did I make that up?

Edit: Apparently I did, 3 year deal.

Last edited:

Corsair

No we paid a fee for him and its a 3 season deal. We aren’t under pressure to turn him around in a season to sell so he could absolutely find himself behind DWH if the results justify it
He's got a season of European training behind him and is a proven Club player and fan favourite with a point to prove. DWH is, so far, made of glass with no club track record other than a smell of pine and a lot of untapped potential. Should be an interesting tussle for a place. Give it 2-3 months of game time, Alou will be a devastating weapon in the A-League. DWH might, or might not be a big success, got a lot to prove still. I do think he's got the talent, if he can stay injury free and leave his ego behind.

Just subjective, mostly uninformed opinions of course.

ryan

Being likened to Ian Rush is a massive honour. I hope you are right.

Big Dog

I wasn’t a huge fan of Matty Simon watching him on the field. Had all sorts of opinions of what he was like but after meeting him a few times off the field realised how wrong perceptions can be.
I’ve found the same with DWH. Very well spoken and takes the time to chat and take an interest in you. He’s definitely got a challenge ahead of him on the field but he has the opportunity to fight for a place and that’s what we want in our team.
Keep in mind also Kuol has barely played competitive football for 2yrs. Kids extremely gifted but will take some time to adjust again

Ironbark

I find it amusing that there are people convinced DWH is fragile somehow, physically and mentally.

He's copped one unfortunately timed injury, and that's it.

We know he has pace, can bang in a goal, and can think.
We know Monty can turn a Jets Silvera into a Mariners Silvera.
AND we know without a doubt that Monty rates DWH highly.

I'm excited by his potential frankly.

Ironbark

I feel we still need some recruitment, but rotation at the front with Reec, Kuol, Tulio, Theo, DWH has a lot of speed, power and unpredictability potential. Hard to defend against and there is a run of goals in there. Once they gel and understand each other of course.

Michael

I find it amusing that there are people convinced DWH is fragile somehow, physically and mentally.

He's copped one unfortunately timed injury, and that's it.

We know he has pace, can bang in a goal, and can think.
We know Monty can turn a Jets Silvera into a Mariners Silvera.
AND we know without a doubt that Monty rates DWH highly.

I'm excited by his potential frankly.
Totally agree 1000%
I honestly don’t see the downside. The year western won the title he was very good for them. He was excellent at roar when he broke through. Monty wanted him here before he was even a sniff of being first team boss.
The reason he left Roar was because they became an absolute basket case, he was sought after. Did well originally at western, then aloisi showed his true colours. Who wouldn’t leave that situation?
Arrived here and got that injury when we hit almost best ever form. In heat of emotion straight after the grand final he spoke to me very openly at the fence how he knows he has a point to prove this coming season and knows how hard he’ll have to work. That’s exciting.

Opinions that he’s fragile blow my mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred