• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2023/2024

Stuartmcateer

Agreed, would be great to have Biraz back but not until next year
I would caveat that.

He isn’t getting any younger and as such he needs to show he is up to it after a long time on the outer.

His wages would need to be reasonable. He isn’t in a position to command top dollar anymore.

Coming in (re)new he would need to know he is starting as a potential number 2 and will need to compete for the top job rather than be a walk up.

Ozhammer

Are we honestly saying that Warshawsky should be the No.1 keeper next season? He is still very young and inexperienced and whilst I am not suggesting he isn’t capable of the step up, the club would be taking a huge risk if they (for instance) went with him as first choice and Perraic-Cullen as his understudy.

I would be much more comfortable to see Birraz as the senior keeper, with Jack backing him up, as we all know a good keeper can win you several games a season.

Last edited:

Stuartmcateer

Are we honestly saying that Warshawsky should be the No.1 keeper next season? He is still very young and inexperienced and whilst I am not suggesting he isn’t capable of the step up, the club would be taking a huge risk if they (for instance) went with him as first choice and Perraic-Cullen as his understudy.

I would be much more comfortable to see Birraz as the senior keeper, with Jack backing him up, as we all know a good keep can win you several games a season.
Worked ok for Mat Ryan stepping up.

I think what everyone is saying is that it would be good to get birraz if the circumstances (wages, fitness etc) are right, but that he shouldn’t be just walking into the number 1 spot without earning it.

it’s not like he’s coming back as a Socceroo or playing top flight football - he’s struggling to get a run for a second tier Scottish team.

He may get the number 1 but he also may have to be the backup if the kid aims up.

Coastalraider

Keeper is the one spot (Matty the exception) we have really failed at using as a revenue stream by giving first team minutes too.

Currently there anre an heap of our old backups who are starting at other clubs and we haven’t taken advantage of any of it with transfers.

Joe Gauchi, Tom HB, Paul Izzo, Tom Glover.. these are guys we could have fostered and sold.

Now if our model is currently have a senior keeper as an onfield leader and focus on youth/selling outfielders because of a better return, then sure. Birraz may be a decent option. I just don’t think he was such an amazing keeper, and bad positioning led to a lot of miraculous saves that should have been regulation. I’d like to see what Vuka could do with him TBH.

Corsair

We were lucky to get Danny, circumstances with Covid, family and nearing the end of his career meant we signed a keeper way beyond what I expected we could get.

It's a critical position, I would have Birraz back for next season but put him on the bench at least initially and give Warchawsky a run.

There's only a few months left of this season, Birraz can see out his contract in Dundee and join us for next season.

This is all assuming Danny does actually retire and we don't keep the same setup we have now where he plays and coaches. Slotting in the keepers he's training into games where we think we can afford/risk it to blood them in.

Ironbark

Storm and Brian are at the back. Nizzy has 100+ games.

There is enough experience to be able to get through if you have a young keeper with a more experienced one on the bench and Danny coaching.
That said - Danny has made a number of critical, high level saves that have been the difference this season.

Regardless, I'm not against blooding young keepers. It is our model and we've had success with it before. But I also see no harm in having a solid fail-safe at the back as we tinker with youth in front of them either

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred