• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Our Beloved Monty

Tevor

Also on the replacement coach I doubt it’ll be Talay. He’s good but was playing some pretty negative football at the end with the nix, not sure whether Victory still have him on ice for Poppa or not either.
I believe the slump in the Nix happened as soon as Talay announced he wasn’t staying. Nix should have off loaded him then not allow him to stay there for the remainder of the season. I suspect Talay wants a larger club any way not another oily rag.

Tevor

I believe the Club wasn’t expecting this move so early like the rest of us and I doubt we have a replacement lined up. Abbas will more than likely be leading the team in our first cup game is my prediction.

Big Al

How much of a chance does Abbas have to get the gig?
Would be 50% I’d say. Did a terrific job with a bag of steaming shit at the start. Got them high mid table - way higher than Christiansen at WSW.
They beat the league winners Apia I think.
Then lost the A League players and took a couple of weeks to get the team believing again.

Played similar system to help integrate the players to A League

@priorpeter does he have the same coaching badge that Monty and Serg did?

AJames

Would be 50% I’d say. Did a terrific job with a bag of steaming shit at the start. Got them high mid table - way higher than Christiansen at WSW.
They beat the league winners Apia I think.
Then lost the A League players and took a couple of weeks to get the team believing again.

Played similar system to help integrate the players to A League

@priorpeter does he have the same coaching badge that Monty and Serg did?
Saad has a UEFA Pro coaching licence.

Big Dog

Abbas is a very good coach and seemed to gel the NPL boys and get them playing good football after they got left high and dry by rat boy.
Not sure if he has his pro license or not? @priorpeter would know more on this
Not sure he would be the best candidate right now. Its a big step up. An assistant maybe?

Ozhammer

but what happens if we missed the finals not that would of happened but if we did it would definitely effect Monty chances of an overseas move so i can understand the move now as these offers dont come around every day
If Monty wasn’t good enough to back up the performances of last season, then he arguably wouldn’t have been good enough to seek a gig overseas.

One stellar season for a player isn’t necessarily an indicator that they can cut in the big leagues and it’s the same for coaches.

Like others have said, Postecoglu only went overseas when he had achieved a number of years of success domestically.

I sincerely hope that Monty makes the move work but I do look at Arnold’s experience in Japan and wonder. You simply won’t get the level of squad buy in overseas that you can create here in Oz and Monty will be in a situation where he could be dealing with and egos and reputations bigger than his own, so we will have to see how he deals with that.

Last edited:

Roger the Cabin Boy

Personally I think it’s too early for Monty to go. Just like a lot of players they have 1 or 2 good seasons here money is splashed at them and off they go. Then all of a sudden they get lost in the system over there. Monty has won 1 championship and done a great job but I think he should have stayed another season to prove how good he is. This could make or break his whole coaching career. Ange proved himself over here before he left.
I think he has already proved himself and its not just about the silverware. The budget constraints, and the reliance [and successful development] of youth over the last few years that is a magnet for talented young players is key. Keep that process going and we will survive- Gloria Gaynor now comes to mind for some reason :)

All I ever hoped for from Staj and Monty was hope to be competitive after all of those years at the bottom of the table. He has given us far more than that.

Maybe Hibs is a good stepping stone after all? His proven ability has been to do wonders on a smallish budget [hence the attraction from small budget clubs]. I hope he retains this ability when he inevitiably hits the big time and has big budgets.

Robbiemariner

If I was going to apply for a new job , I'd want to see the set-up in person , see how the land lies so to speak and more importantly meet the people I'd be working with / for before any decision on my part is made .

At the very least I'd get the experience of the interview , see how i compared with the other job candidate's etc etc , I'd have nothing to loose .

shipwreck

One can also assume that will kill any signings we had in the works...

Imagine being a young gun from Portugal or South America, had been in talks with Monty and Serg for weeks and all of a sudden this is all over the newspapers.

Honestly horrible f**king timing, would have been better to happen the day after the GF

FFC Mariner

I hope CCM were always prepared for this and haven't been taken by surprise and are running around like headless chooks.
Key person risk and succession planning is usually overlooked.
"What do we do if Monty goes" would be a reasonable question to answer.
Bet it hadn't been though

Wombat

I looked at the money Hibs players are on and apart from Martin Boyle its not big money. He is on $15,010 per week, double the next highest earner. Miller is on $3,800 pw. So they are not a high paying club.

Mooy at Celtic earns $43,700 pw so if you are not at Celtic or Rangers you are not going to get rich in Scotland.

Kye is on $5,700pw at Hearts.
Birras is on $3,400pw at Dundee Utd.

Hibs are a pissant team but Edinburgh is a pretty nice city overall.

Wombat

I hope CCM were always prepared for this and haven't been taken by surprise and are running around like headless chooks.
Richard was saying at the start of last season that Monty would be an EPL coach and that he was the best Coach in Australia so I do believe they would have been planning for this day. Richard is a smart business man well used to dealing with man management.

Rising Sun

It was obvious that Monty would be gone sooner rather than later and Richard would also be seeing the $ signs and wanting to cash in whilst he was under contract. I spoke to Richard after the GF and he thought we would hang on to him for 1 more season.

So the succession plan should already have been in place - should have been working on one has soon as the last one (rat boy) was abandoned - and it just needs to be accelerated. Would be extremely poor planning if that is not case

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred