• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2024/2025 ALM and ACL Elite

Corsair

I don't have the concerns I'd usually have. After a treble there will be turnover. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to see what Jacko is really made of. If he's what we think he is the recruitment will be shrewd and we'll dominate next season with his own recruits. If not we'll know Monty and Serge were gods of development and rough diamond finding....

Allreet?

I don't have the concerns I'd usually have. After a treble there will be turnover. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to see what Jacko is really made of. If he's what we think he is the recruitment will be shrewd and we'll dominate next season with his own recruits. If not we'll know Monty and Serge were gods of development and rough diamond finding....
Jacko has had a while now to plan for replacements and you'd imagine we'd have to be attractive to ambitious players keen to play in the ACL (or whatever the f**k it's called now).

Jacko massively over-achieved last year and I'm just crazy enough to think he might do it again.

Tevor

Jacko has had a while now to plan for replacements and you'd imagine we'd have to be attractive to ambitious players keen to play in the ACL (or whatever the f**k it's called now).

Jacko massively over-achieved last year and I'm just crazy enough to think he might do it again.
He also said in an interview that we will lose players but we are looking at replacements and have been for some time.

pjennings

He also said in an interview that we will lose players but we are looking at replacements and have been for some time.

He also said he knew who was going and who was coming in

Realistically who do we need / possibly need to replace / strengthen

Danny - visa replacement for me. (1)

Faz - Mauragis and Smith already here

Dan - RCB - I think we can go Australian here (plus a backup - Windust?) (2)

(Balard & Nizz) - Tapp and Steele are the obvious replacements but I would bring in another OS Australian purely because of the resilience of the Balard and Nizz playing so many minutes. (1)

LM - replacement for Torres/ challenge Theohaurus (1)

RM - replacement for Barcellos / challenge Doka (young Australian) (1)

CS - replacement for Jing (1)

So 7 players - 2 visa players and 5 Australians

I see Miguel Di Pizio as second striker so not necessarily up against Theohaurus

Last edited:

Michael

Tapp or Steele can replace Maxy. Neither player can replace Niz. I hope to God Niz is staying but if he isn't we need a quality 10 from overseas imho.
2000% this
Can’t see us signing DM replacements. Tapp and Steele are next. Scicluna theoretically after them.

We NEED a seriously high quality #10. Slim chance it’ll be a noteworthy name a general fan will know, but have faith.

pjennings

I think recruitment will be easier than previously. RP seems to be more willing to fund the team (within reason) and a successful club will have plenty of people willing to come.

I'm actually quietly confident that we will do very well in the league again and surprise a few in the ACL Elite. That may not be what people can see now - but I suspect by the end of July we will be a lot more confident than many are at the moment.

bikinigirl

One advantage that maybe doesn't seem like an advantage is surely the reduced funding from APL.
Other teams are not nearly as smart or frugal as us and will likely either need to cut wages or players. Quality young Aussies on the up would see us as their best next step even if they didn't already

. very good point ... i wondered about people's recruitment expectations

. currently we have two (at most) visa spots to fill ... and we may need 'quality' in more positions than that. which means we may have to recruit some 'quality' Aussies - which will not be cheap (consider in the context of the 'value' our current or departing players represent)

. so this could be a big difference this season ... but the cap will be as critical as the grant for a few clubs

Big Al

We're in for a rough start if we think academy and bench can replace departures. We do need some recruits. Other ALM teams have bolstered significantly.
It’s how we operate. Got to play them and let them grow. No one in the league has recruited crazy to make you think they will dominate

Also it’s cheaper (very important with funding cuts)

Also the usual top older players are all now past there prime. We have been dominant because our players are hitting there straps 50-100 games. Right age and the big clubs are relying on the stars of the last 10 years. Terry Antonis was still getting games this year. The old guard is gone.

So who would you recruit anyway. Just bring on the young ones.

Last edited:

pjennings

. very good point ... i wondered about people's recruitment expectations

. currently we have two (at most) visa spots to fill ... and we may need 'quality' in more positions than that. which means we may have to recruit some 'quality' Aussies - which will not be cheap (consider in the context of the 'value' our current or departing players represent)

. so this could be a big difference this season ... but the cap will be as critical as the grant for a few clubs

First - what is MJ's motivation. According to Harry Steele the squad wants a threepeat. Throw in the Aust cup which is the only domestic trophy MJ has not won.

Second - what is RP's motivation. When he came in he wanted to compete in the ACL. We have that this season - I don't think he will squib it. He needs to provide MJ with more than 15 or 16 players that MJ is happy to play to compete on all fronts.

Looking at exits - Tulio would have been on decent coin as would have Danny and Torres. Barcellos, Jing, Hall and Kasalovic probably less so. While, Fazz, Max and Nizz may not of been on big money last season (but if they were to stay) their wage would be greater.

So potentially replacing 3 of our most expensive players plus 3 of what were potentially going to be expensive players, plus 3 players gone that may have been mid level wages and a scholarship player. On top of that some players that MJ seemed reluctant to play may be elsewhere.

I think one visa will go to the GK.
From what I've seen of Warshawsky he is not ready and no available Aussie looks to be good enough unless Maty wants to come back at a greatly reduced price. I don't think it would hurt his world Cup spot but it would certainly hurt his bank balance. The younger keeper impresses me more than Jack but I'd be loath to have him as first choice but happy with him on the bench.

We need a replacement for Dan at RCB and probably a backup that MJ would be prepared to use. I think they will be Aussies.

Harry and Tappy are ready made replacements for Max and Nizz and MDP will probably fit into the more forward role.

In attack there will be the other visa player - but where? Does MDP stay on the left challenging Theo or does he drop into the Nizz role? What is MJ looking for in attack? Another (different kind of) striker or a #10?

I'd like to target some more youngsters to develop, like Tatu, McNichol & Waddingham. Unlikely to see much if any time this year but worth a punt to develop.

Kuz and Smith are both good squaddies to have being able to play as fullback as well as moving forward with confidence. I hope they get a run this season after their injuries

Ironbark

It's obvious Jacko knows tactics. He teaches the boys the thinking part of the game, and well. He has options in his planning.

He came in to an already established squad and only brought in Edmo later. Look what he did with what we had. In fairness, we had some gold embedded (Niz, Maxy, Kaltak, Vuka et al.).

What would he like to do if he got to create a squad? Or, as is the case now - partially recruit and adapt a squad?

We tend to assume that recruitment will be based on what we've seen, the strategies, tactics and formations we've seen so far. But with a small rebuild will Jacko go that way or plan for change?

It's one of the things I am most curious to see. Point is, he may not recruit exactly to replace, but for a new plan. I'm loving that rather than being nervous about it I feel quietly excited to see what happens next.

bikinigirl

First - what is MJ's motivation. According to Harry Steele the squad wants a threepeat. Throw in the Aust cup which is the only domestic trophy MJ has not won.

Second - what is RP's motivation. When he came in he wanted to compete in the ACL. We have that this season - I don't think he will squib it. He needs to provide MJ with more than 15 or 16 players that MJ is happy to play to compete on all fronts.

Looking at exits - Tulio would have been on decent coin as would have Danny and Torres. Barcellos, Jing, Hall and Kasalovic probably less so. While, Fazz, Max and Nizz may not of been on big money last season (but if they were to stay) their wage would be greater.

So potentially replacing 3 of our most expensive players plus 3 of what were potentially going to be expensive players, plus 3 players gone that may have been mid level wages and a scholarship player. On top of that some players that MJ seemed reluctant to play may be elsewhere.

I think one visa will go to the GK.
From what I've seen of Warshawsky he is not ready and no available Aussie looks to be good enough unless Maty wants to come back at a greatly reduced price. I don't think it would hurt his world Cup spot but it would certainly hurt his bank balance. The younger keeper impresses me more than Jack but I'd be loath to have him as first choice but happy with him on the bench.

We need a replacement for Dan at RCB and probably a backup that MJ would be prepared to use. I think they will be Aussies.

Harry and Tappy are ready made replacements for Max and Nizz and MDP will probably fit into the more forward role.

In attack there will be the other visa player - but where? Does MDP stay on the left challenging Theo or does he drop into the Nizz role? What is MJ looking for in attack? Another (different kind of) striker or a #10?

I'd like to target some more youngsters to develop, like Tatu, McNichol & Waddingham. Unlikely to see much if any time this year but worth a punt to develop.

Kuz and Smith are both good squaddies to have being able to play as fullback as well as moving forward with confidence. I hope they get a run this season after their injuries

. let me re-phrase my previous post ... based on your assumption of a visa keeper and needing quality to compete in the ACL etc, etc.

. which Australians might you expect Jacko to recruit to provide the quality we'll need without unsettling the retained squad?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred