• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2023/2024

pjennings

Forgive me if I’m wrong - but we have never really been a team to let go of talent we want to keep in January compared with getting rid of talent we don’t want any more - right?

The only one I can thing of is Garang - and at that same time we got rid of Aqua, Kalechi, Ayongo.

We usually keep the impactful transfers to the end of season right?
Mile Jedinak?

Forum Phoenix

Great players are very hard to keep. And he’s a great player. I was going to say what insert said, stay and be in the national team at a very good age in time for the next WC providing we can qualify. He’s who I’d be targeting if I was the NT coach.

Corsair, Piel came out last year and admitted he was making mistakes and on a learning curve, but I don’t think you win championships with peanuts unless you’re also a very smart operation. So I doubt they will do something stupid. But good luck stopping a player who can get paid a shitload more somewhere else. All clubs can do in these cases is try to cash in also.

It’s what I hate most about modern football. Of course we want to keep our best players. But it’s the way it is. Your accusation that it would mean the Club only cares about finances is a very flawed and typically uncharitable argument.

From what I can tell we have one of the best run clubs in the league. Pulling us out of the nose dive that Monty’s last minute departure and our team gutting should have caused, should be being hailed as a masterstroke / near miracle,

On here it’s hard to even muster a stingy pass mark.

Last edited:

Corsair

Great players are very hard to keep. And he’s a great player. I was going to say what insert said, stay and be in the national team at a very good age in time for the next WC providing we can qualify. He’s who I’d be targeting if I was the NT coach.

Corsair, Piel came out last year and admitted he was making mistakes and on a learning curve, but I don’t think you win championships with peanuts unless you’re also a very smart operation. So I doubt they will do something stupid. But good luck stopping a player who can get paid a shitload more somewhere else. All clubs can do in these cases is try to cash in also.

It’s what hate I most about modern football. Of course we want to keep our best players. But it’s the way it is. Your accusation that it would mean the Club only cares about finances is a very flawed and typically uncharitable argument.

From what I can tell we have one of the best run clubs in the league. Pulling us out of the nose dive that Monty’s last minute departure and our team gutting should have caused, should be being hailed as a masterstroke / near miracle,

On here it’s hard to even muster a stingy pass mark.
Peil came out at the start of the season and admitted we'd sold more players than he wanted. Let's see that backed up by not selling what we've got left.

Or sell Tulio to Mohan with a loan back of him plus dingo for the rest of the season, that'll make me happy ?

priorpeter

Peil came out at the start of the season and admitted we'd sold more players than he wanted. Let's see that backed up by not selling what we've got left.
That statement in itself shows that it’s difficult, nigh on impossible, to keep some of these players when options open up overseas. As much as I wish it was as simple as “not selling”, if these players get an offer and they want to go, who are we to stop them?

Allreet?

That statement in itself shows that it’s difficult, nigh on impossible, to keep some of these players when options open up overseas. As much as I wish it was as simple as “not selling”, if these players get an offer and they want to go, who are we to stop them?
The club with whom they signed a contract?

Seriously... I know... we have to accept that we're a development/selling club. As long as we keep developing the good options into the senior squad then the model works.

Hello Sailor

Seriously... I know... we have to accept that we're a development/selling club. As long as we keep developing the good options into the senior squad then the model works.
True, but but with a couple of caveats. To work we also need to retain a critical mass of talented and experienced players to pass on that experience [eg the Dutchman tutoring Sainsbury] and to cover up for novice errors on the pitch. I don't want to go back to the days where Walmsley introduced so many junior players into the squad and then blamed our failure on them because they 'did not step up'.
We also need to retain sufficient experienced talent to be moderately successful in the comp to attract young talent, fans and sponsors.

adz

Staff member
In this other code that I follow, and probably shouldn't mention here (AFL... shhh) if a player is under contract and the club doesn't want to lose them, the player is told "You are required" and that's the end of the story.

Imagine that, being able to enforce a contract and not just say "oh someone else offered you more money, yes let's tear up this thing you signed and have 2 years left on, since you signed it before you got this better offer, it's only fair".

Huddo

In this other code that I follow, and probably shouldn't mention here (AFL... shhh) if a player is under contract and the club doesn't want to lose them, the player is told "You are required" and that's the end of the story.

Imagine that, being able to enforce a contract and not just say "oh someone else offered you more money, yes let's tear up this thing you signed and have 2 years left on, since you signed it before you got this better offer, it's only fair".

We have enforced in the past, DDS rode pine for a year, then SFC changed the ALeague rules to allow loans. The issue is for us to be seen as a credible stepping stone we ( most of the time ) have to allow the player to move on.

I'd rather that than be a club like MV blocking Milligan's move to Crystal Palace under the misconception they were a big club in a big league.

The issue I have is players like Nkololo that move to richer leagues and we get no reimbursement for it

JoyfulPenguin

I think the issue is the reality of where we and the ALM sit in world football. The AFL has luxury of being the top, and only dog. We are a development league and close to the last option to remain a professional player. You only have to look at the careers of players, especially foreigners, who are unsuccessful to see it. You might get a contract in India or Indonesia but it's pretty slim pickings.

To attract visa players we then need to offer ourselves as a stepping stone or a last pay check.

Corsair

This is how I feel too, what's the point of a contract if you can't hold someone to it.

I guess if it's a triggered release clause then you knew up front it was possible/likely.

Michael

This is how it should be, this is how it is in other countries with better leagues/finances etc
The PFA has so much power here it’s ridiculous (not saying any of our players in recent seasons have sought that to get out of here)
It’d be lovely if the APL helped us keep guys like Tulio and Cumdog for much longer via marquee funds like they do with other clubs. But they never will. Which is retarded for their business model given in recent times our club has brought in quality and in dingo’s case, hugely popular, players that help grow the league. But why help the mariners, huh.

Coastalraider

But we really are the bottom end of the spectrum in Australia - everyone is either trying to get to a better league, coming for one last pay check before retirement, or has realised this is their level.

Even coaches - Ross Aloisi hasn’t even coached 6 months here and just grabbed the first thing that flew by.

Our wages are so damn minuscule compared with any decent league that it’s impossible to stand in people’s way and not have it dramatically effect how you are perceived.

Insertnamehere

But we really are the bottom end of the spectrum in Australia - everyone is either trying to get to a better league, coming for one last pay check before retirement, or has realised this is their level.

Even coaches - Ross Aloisi hasn’t even coached 6 months here and just grabbed the first thing that flew by.

Our wages are so damn minuscule compared with any decent league that it’s impossible to stand in people’s way and not have it dramatically effect how you are perceived.
Its unlikely to improve unless all the teams are owned by Saudi's and money is infinite

Michael

I’m honestly fine with us being a selling club. The timing sometimes can be annoying ofcourse. But it is what it is, just as long as the fee’s we receive are adequate for the players value and there needs to be an understanding from the club powers that if a youth player isn’t ready an older player has to be brought in so that we stay competitive. Which is the case right now, thankfully.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred