• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Grand final baby - Our Parradise

LFCMariners

In all seriousness though, do you believe in the revenge of the sporting gods?

I used to be sceptical, but now I’m not so sure...

Essentially it goes that the penance a club pays for years of dominance is years- decades even- of heartbreak, being rubbish or being a banter club:

In the 70’s and 80’s, Liverpool were the kings of English (and European) football- then went 30 years without winning a single league title and several false dawns/ near misses along the way while their most hated rivals down the M62 racked up the major trophies and the glory...

That club, who dominated the first 20 years of the Premier League, signed off 2022/23 having gone a decade without another league title. PLUS the ignominy of suffering a record- equaling 7-0 destruction to their most hated rivals up the M62. PLUS being unable to stop their cross-town rivals, for so many decades their inferior neighbours, beating them in the F.A Cup Final en route to matching United’s storied 1999 feat by claiming The Treble...

Arsenal went undefeated in 2003/04 and won the league at the home ground of their most hated rivals- and their invincible season was recognised with a unique golden trophy. But since then? You could argue the fan channel has become more famous than the club, and the less said about the last 2 months of the 2022/23 season, the better...

If you want to see the future for all-conquering Man City, look at Chelsea.

Yet- I believe the revenge of the sporting gods also works in reverse. What is robbed, is paid back later with interest:

The Socceroos for decades couldn’t qualify for the World Cup, even campaigns where they didn’t suffer a single defeat. It was like they were cursed. But since 2006 they’ve qualified every campaign, even campaigns like the most recent one where you thought surely we were sitting out Qatar. Yet against all odds, somehow we qualified, and somehow it turned out to be our best ever World Cup as a nation...

Or (in the A League). Take the Melbourne Victory. Hahahahaha. That’s all that needs to be said.

Then there’s CCM-

I still remember around 2009, a Jest fan rubbishing the Mariners and labelling CCM as “the A-League finals equivalent of the bye” (amazing how a single rather fortuitous GF win makes some people think it earns them the right to carry on like swinging dicks). Indeed for years it looked as if, in the Grand Final, CCM were destined to be the gallant nearly men. Good enough to make it, but not good (or lucky) enough to win it...

Since those days, the most the Jest have had to brag about is 8-2. But this season alone, CCM:

- Knocked The Jest out of finals contention again (how many times is that now?)

- Enjoyed amazing support at home and respectable support at all their NSW away games (remember when they used to bag our support?)

But perhaps most importantly:

- Enjoyed perhaps the most emphatic Grand Final victory seen in A-League history, and arguably one of the biggest underdog victories seen in Australian sporting history.

The sporting gods taketh, true, but by goodness do they give back in spades

Last edited:

Corsair

I do admit, and will eat some Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton, that I was wrong with Goddard.
I do not know why, There was a footballer inside that body. Probably not tough enough for our league.
A major disappointment.
Lots of talent, pea hearted. You'd like to say just not physically big enough for this league, but then there's the nugget engine in our midfield to prove that wrong.

priorpeter

Earlier in the season one of the posters on this forum and I can't remember who it was wrote that there would be a game where we would absolutely smash an opponent with an avalanche of goals.Who would have thought it would be the GF and against the best performing team of the last three seasons.
I said it on the pod at one point; I did also say CFG premiers, CCM Champions. Old mate Not-stradamus finally getting one right ?

FFC Mariner

Or (relevant with all the handwringing from people who have never lived through economic stress)

He's a great economist, successfully predicted 47 of the last 2 ressions

turbo

Lots of talent, pea hearted. You'd like to say just not physically big enough for this league, but then there's the nugget engine in our midfield to prove that wrong.
If Cy was to stay long term I'm sure the plan would have been to help him bulk up a bit and follow Nizzy's example. But that doesnt happen fast or make as much sense for a visa player who can move to somewhere more suited to their build.

Corsair

If Cy was to stay long term I'm sure the plan would have been to help him bulk up a bit and follow Nizzy's example. But that doesnt happen fast or make as much sense for a visa player who can move to somewhere more suited to their build.
I wonder how he's getting on...

Spacks

I wonder how he's getting on...

I'd say not well

Ancient Mariner

If he had the skills he should not need the bulk. For whatever reason he just appeared over awed. Was given enough chances.
I suspect his good mate Alfie was doing him a favour or the Indian league is that far behind the A League even with all their money.
not a problem now. Gone and almost forgotten.

Totally forgotten by older members like me until someone (can't remember who) dragged up his name.

Last edited:

Ozhammer

I'd say not well
Pesonally, don’t rate players who have their first name on their jerseys

LFCMariners

2 weeks ago

I miss it. Didn’t make Erina Fair the next day so I don’t feel “closure” yet. Not sure if a street parade, sinking brews with the faithful and watching the game back or just the matching of time itself will do it for me.

Asked a bloke at work who went to the game how many times he’d watched the match replay so far, he said probably a million.

Off to watch Access All Areas again as we speak...

Corsair

2 weeks ago

I miss it. Didn’t make Erina Fair the next day so I don’t feel “closure” yet. Not sure if a street parade, sinking brews with the faithful and watching the game back or just the matching of time itself will do it for me.

Asked a bloke at work who went to the game how many times he’d watched the match replay so far, he said probably a million.

Off to watch Access All Areas again as we speak...
I met a couple of old mates in Sydney last night for a drink, hadn't seen them for 6 months. One of them still plays over 35's at age 50 and said you must be happy at the moment. Got to tell my GF night story and relive it a little bit, bet he wished he never asked!! The other guy knew we'd won but didn't know the result and nearly fell off his chair when I said 6-1. That reaction will live in my memory for a long time!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred